Hungary has one of the most liberal laws for acquiring Hungarian citizenship.
The procedure is simple and straightforward, but it varies depending
on the basis of your application.
TYPES OF CITIZENSHIP PROCEDURES
- Simplified naturalization is based on ancestry. If you have Hungarian parents or ancestors and you speak basic Hungarian, you can apply without hesitation.
- Naturalization is available for those who are already residents of Hungary for some time. Depending on whether you have a spouse and/or children as well, you may or may not be required to pass a citizenship exam in Hungarian.
- Verification of citizenship may be requested by people who were once citizens of Hungary but were stripped of it when left the country (e.g. in the pre-90s era, typically in 1956).
WHEN APPLYING FOR HUNGARIAN CITIZENSHIP BASED ON YOUR ANCESTRY:
- You will be required to prove that your parents or further ancestors were Hungarian citizens. This means presenting documents like birth or marriage certificates, passports, or other documents that can verify their Hungarian identity.
- If you are sure about your origin but cannot prove it, don’t worry: we offer ancestry research among our services.
- Application is possible both in Hungary or at a Hungarian consulate. You can simply book an appointment and meet the consul for an interview.
- You need to speak at least some Hungarian, since you need to book you appointment in Hungarian, and talk to the consul in Hungarian when you meet them.
Language assessment and courses are both available from our trusted partners